Tuttle of Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, and New Haven, Connecticut
Richard Tootill/Tuttell b 15 Jun 1530, Woodford, Northamptonshire, England, d 11 Mar 1587/88, Peterborough, England. He md Elizabeth abt 1555, Northamptonshire, England. She was b abt 1532-33, England.
Child of Richard Tootill/Tuttell and Elizabeth was:
Simon Tuttell b abt 1560, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d 15 Jun 1630, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England. He md Isabell Wells abt 1590, Ringstead, daughter of John Wells. She was b abt 1565, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d 1635, Boston, Suffolk, MA.
Children of Simon Tuttell and Isabel Wells were:
- Dorothy Tuttle b 1592, London, Middlesex, England; md John Bill.
- Richard Tuttle b 1593, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d 8 May 1640, Boston, Suffolk, MA; md Ann Taylor 19 Jul 1622.
- John Tuttle b 1596, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d 30 Dec 1656, Ireland; md Joan Antrobus.
- Simon Tuttle b 1596, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d 14 Dec 1630, Burton Latimer, Northamptonshire, England; md  Alice James 1616, and  Kathryn Brabrook 1624.
- Thomas Tuttle b 1600, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d bef 1627; md Anne.
- William Tuttle b 26 Dec 1607.
William Tuttell/Tuttle [a] b 24 Dec 1607, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d 16 Jun 1673, New Haven, CT. He md Elizabeth Mathews 1630, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, daughter of Edward Mathews and Elizabeth Nashe. She was b abt 1612, d 30 Dec 1684.
Children of William Tuttell/Tuttle and Elizabeth Mathews were:
- John Tuttle b 8 Dec 1631.
- Hannah Tuttle b abt 1632, Exeter, Devonshire, England, d 8 Aug 1683, Hartford, MA.
- Anne Tuttle b 1633, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d 16 Mar 1696, Litchfield, CT.
- Thomas Tuttle b 1634/35, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d 19 Oct 1710, New Haven, CT; md Hannah Powell 1661.
- Jonathan Tuttle b 2 Jul 1637, Charlestown, Suffolk, MA, d 2 May 1676, New Haven, CT; md Rebecca Bell
- David Tuttle b 7 Apr 1639, Milford, New Haven, CT, d May 1693, New Haven, CT.
- Joseph Tuttle b 22 Nov 1640, New Haven, CT, d Sep 1690, New Haven, CT; md Hannah Munson 1667.
- Sarah Tuttle b Apr 1642, New Haven, CT, d 17 Nov 1676, Fairfield, CT.
- Elizabeth Tuttle b 9 Nov 1645, New Haven, CT, d 1679; md Richard Edwards.
- Simon Tuttle b 28 Mar 1647, New Haven, CT, d 16 Apr 1719, New Haven, CT; md Abigail Beach 1679.
- Benjamin Tuttle b 29 Oct 1648, New Haven, CT, d 13 Jun 1677 (executed for murder of sister Sarah), New Haven, CT.
- Mercy Tuttle b 27 Apr 1650, New Haven, CT, d Sep 1691; md Samuel Brown 1667.
- Nathaniel Tuttle b 24 Feb 1652/53, New Haven, CT, d 20 Aug 1721, Litchfield, CT; md Sarah Howe 1682.
John Tuttle b 8 Dec 1631, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, d 12 Nov 1683, New Haven, CT. He md Catherine Lane 8 Nov 1653, New Haven, CT, daughter of John Lane. She was b abt 1635, of Middletown, Middlesex, CT, d 1669, Milford, New Haven, CT.
Children of John Tuttle and Catherine Lane were:
- Hannah Tuttle b 2 Nov 1655, New Haven, CT, d 21 Dec 1708; md Samuel Clark 1672.
- John Tuttle b 15 Sep 1657.
- Samuel Tuttle b 9 Jan 1659, New Haven, CT, d 8 Jul 1733, New Haven; md  Sarah Newman, and  Abigail Frost.
- Sarah Tuttle b 22 Jan 1661, New Haven, CT; md John Humiston.
- Daniel Tuttle b 3 Apr 1664, New Haven, CT, d 1700, CT; md Hannah Sanford.
- Mary Tuttle b 3 Apr 1664, New Haven, CT; md Ebenezer Blakeslee.
- Elizabeth Tuttle b 19 Nov 1666, New Haven, CT; d 1724; md John Reed.
- David Tuttle b 14 Nov 1668, New Haven, CT, d 1752, CT; md Mary Reed abt 1698.
John Tuttle b 15 Sep 1657, New Haven, CT, d aft Nov 1743, Lebanon, CT. He md Mary Burroughs 29 May 1689, New Haven, CT, daughter of John Burroughs and Hannah Culver.
Child of John Tuttle and Mary Burroughs was:
Jemima Tuttle [b] b 1710, d 13 Apr 1802, Whately, Hampshire, MA. She md Benjamin Scott bef 1742, Whately, Hampshire, MA, son of Josiah Scott and Sarah Barrett.
a. William Tuttle, with his wife Elizabeth and their children, were passengers on the ship "Planter" which sailed from Gravesend for their new home in Apr 1635. About one year after their arrival, Mrs. Elizabeth "Tuttell" united with the church in Boston, Jul 24, 1636. Her sons Jonathan and David were also baptized there. William Tuttle, called "husbandman" on the passenger list, is also mentioned as a merchant in a petition. In various records he is mentioned with the prefix "Mr.". He joined Eaton's company, composed mostly of persons who had been engaged in commercial pursuits in their native country, and who wished to form a commercial city in the new world. On 26 Jul 1637, Messrs. Davenport and Eaton, with their company arrived in Boston, and in the fall of that year, Mr. Eaton with others, made a trip along the Long Island shore between Saybrook and Fairfield with the object of selecting a spot for an independent colony, the place selected being Quinnipiac. The main body of the company sailed from Boston 30 Mar and arrived 14 Apr 1638, and during the summer the town was laid out, and house lots assigned to settlers. Mr. Tuttle's name appears in a church covenant signed by the planters in Jun 1639. In 1641 he became owner of the home lot of Edward Hopkins, who had removed to Hartford, and in 1656, he bought the original allotment of Joshua Atwater, his mansion, house and barn with certain other lands. This became William Tuttle's home until his death, and later became part of Yale College. In 1659, William Tuttle's name appears as proprietor of land in North Haven. He was a large landholder at one time, but sold or divided a large part of his lands among his children before his death. He was often appointed to settle boundary questions and private disputes. He died in the early part of Jun 1673, and his widow died 30 Dec 1684 at the age of 72.
b. While she does not appear among the children of John Tuttle and Mary Burroughs in the sources listed below, veteran Tuttle researcher, David Tuttle, states that Jemima was indeed their daughter, and further that while Jemima may have been born in Whately, Hampshire, Mass., "she was baptised in Lebanon, Conn., First Church records;
daughter of John Tuttle born 1657 & Mary Burroughs born 1672; died 13-Apr-1802 at age 92, in Whately, MA (vital records)...Married to Benjamin Scott; born 31 May 1708." This author also notes that in the sources shown here, the last two children shown for John Tuttle and Mary Burroughs are shown as ?, which indicates that the records are obviously incomplete. David Tuttle also states that there was movement of families up and down the Connecticut River Valley at that time, so it would not be unusual for one or more children to be born and/or baptized at locations enroute; this would also explain the incomplete/questioned records of the last two children shown for John Tuttle and Mary Burroughs in some sources.
SG: [ ]; DWS: [ ]; David Tuttle: [ref: History of Whately, Massachusetts, by Crofts, 1899; GL: Connecticut Local Families and Histories, 1600s-1800s, Vol IV, New England Families, Genealogies, and Memorials, pp 877-878, from Genealogical Notes, or Contributions, to the Family History of Some of the First Settlers of Connecticut and Massachusetts,
by Nathaniel Goodwin.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR TUTTLE
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME