Courtenay, Lords of Okehampton
Joscelin de Courtenay b abt 1045, Courtenay, Loiret, France. He md Isabel de Montlhery abt 1065, daughter of Guy I de Montlhery, Sire de Montlhery, and Hodierne de Gometz.
Child of Joscelin de Courtenay and Isabel de Montlhery was:
Milo de Courtenay, Sire de Courtenay, b abt 1078, Courtenay, Loiret, France, d 1127. He md Ermengarde de Nevers abt 1098, daughter of Renaud II de Nevers, Count of Nevers and Auxerre, and Ida de Forez.
Child of Milo de Courtenay and Ermengarde de Nevers was:
Renaud de Courtenay [a], Sire de Courtenay, b abt 1110, of Sutton, Berkshire, England, d 1189/90. He md , abt 1130, Daughter of Guy/Frederick du Donjon, and  Maud Fitz Edith. Daughter du Donjon was b abt 1114.
Children of Renaud de Courtenay and Daughter du Donjon were:
Sir Renaud de Courtenay, Baron of Okehampton, b abt 1140, of Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d 27 Sep 1194, Devonshire, England. He md Hawise de Courcy abt 1162, daughter of William de Courcy and Maud d'Avranches.
- Elizabeth de Courtenay b abt 1132, Courtenay, Loiret, France, d aft 14 Sep 1205. She md Peter of France abt 1145, son of Louis VI, King of France, and Adelaide of Savoy.
- Sir Renaud de Courtenay b abt 1140.
Children of Renaud de Courtenay and Hawise de Courcy were:
- Egeline de Courtenay b abt 1165, of Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d 1215. She md Sir Gilbert Basset, Lord of Drayton, abt 1178, son of Thomas Basset and Alice de Dunstanville.
- Sir Robert de Courtenay, Knight, b abt 1183.
Sir Robert de Courtenay, Knight, b abt 1183, of Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d 26 Jul 1242, Iwerne, Dorset, England. He md Mary de Vernon/Reviers abt 1209, daughter of Sir William de Vernon, Earl of Devon, and Maud/Mabel de Beaumont.
Children of Robert de Courtenay and Mary de Vernon were:
Sir John de Courtenay, Lord of Okehampton, b 26 Jul 1224, of Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d 3 May 1274. He md Isabel de Vere abt 1245, daughter of Sir Hugh de Vere, Earl of Oxford, Knight, Master Chamberlain, and Hawise de Quincy.
- Hawise de Courtenay b abt 1212, of Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d bef 8 Apr 1269. She md  John de Neville abt 1230, son of Hugh de Neville and Joan de Cornhill. She md  Sir John de Gatesden, Knight.
- Sir John de Courtenay, Lord of Okehampton, b 26 Jul 1224.
Child of John de Courtenay and Isabel de Vere was:
Sir Hugh de Courtenay [b], Knight, b 25 Mar 1249/50, Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d 28 Feb 1291/92, Cullicomb, Devonshire, England. He md Eleanor le Despenser abt 1265, daughter of Sir Hugh le Despenser, Knight, and Aline Basset.
Children of Hugh de Courtenay and Eleanor le Despenser were:
Sir Hugh de Courtenay, Earl of Devon, Lord Courtenay b 14 Sep 1273, Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d 23 Dec 1340. He md Agnes de St. John 1292 daughter of Sir John de St. John, Seneschal of Aquitaine and Gascony, and Alice Fitz Piers.
- Eleanor de Courtenay b abt 1270, of Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d abt 1300/01. She md Sir Henry de Grey, Lord Grey, abt 1284, son of Sir John de Grey and Lucy de Mohun.
- Sir Hugh de Courtenay, Earl of Devon, Lord Courtenay b 14 Sep 1273.
- Isabel de Courtenay b abt 1283, Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d aft 10 May 1325, md John St. John abt 1300.
- Egeline de Courtenay b abt 1290, Okehampton, Devonshire, England, d abt 10 Oct 1335, Norfolk, England. She md Sir Robert de Scales, Lord Scales, abt 1308, son of Sir Robert de Scales and Isabel.
Identified children of Hugh de Courtenay and Agnes de St. John were:
- Sir Hugh de Courtenay, Earl of Devon, b 12 Jul 1303. See LINE A
- Sir Thomas de Courtenay b abt 1312. See LINE B
Sir Hugh de Courtenay [c], Earl of Devon, Knight of the Garter, b 12 Jul 1303, d 2 May 1377. He md Margaret de Bohun 31 May 1325, daughter of Sir Humphrey VIII de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Essex, Constable of England, and Elizabeth Plantagenet.
Identified children of Hugh de Courtenay and Margaret de Bohun were:
Sir Philip de Courtenay, Lord Lieut. of Ireland, b abt 1340, of Powderham, Devonshire, England, d 29 Jul 1406. He md Anne Wake abt 1370, daughter of Sir Thomas Wake, Knight, and Alice de Pateshull.
- Hugh de Courtenay b 22 Mar 1326/27, d bef 2 Sep 1349; md Elizabeth ___ 1341.
- Edward de Courtenay b abt 1335.
- Sir Philip de Courtenay b abt 1340.
- William de Courtenay, Archbishop of Canterbury, b abt 1342.
- Sir Piers de Courtenay b abt 1346.
Child of Philip de Courtenay and Anne Wake was:
Sir John Courtenay b abt 1383, of Powderham, Devonshire, England. He md Joan Champernoun abt 1402/03, daughter of Sir Richard de Champernoun and Alice de Astley.
Sir Philip Courtenay b 18 Jan 1404, of Powderham, Devonshire, England, d 16 Dec 1463. He md Elizabeth Hungerford abt 1426, daughter of Sir Walter Hungerford, Lord Treasurer of England, Knight of the Garter, and Catherine Peverell.
Child of John Courtenay and Joan Champernoun was:
Child of Philip Courtenay and Elizabeth Hungerford was:
Sir Philip Courtenay, Sheriff of Devon, b abt 1445, of Molland, Devonshire, England. He md Elizabeth Hingeston abt 1470, daughter of Robert Hingeston. She was b abt 1453.
Identified children of Philip Courtenay and Elizabeth Hingeston were:
Philip Courtenay b abt 1482, of Molland, Devonshire, England. He md Jane Fowell abt 1506. She was b abt 1489.
- Elizabeth Courtenay b abt 1475, of Molland, Devonshire, England, d bef 1509; md Sir Edward Courtenay, Earl of Devon, Knight.
- Margaret Courtenay b abt 1478, of Molland, Devonshire, md Sir John Champernoun.
- Philip Courtenay b abt 1482.
Child of Philip Courtenay and Jane Fowell was:
Elizabeth Courtenay b abt 1524, of Molland, Devonshire, England. She md William Strode abt 1542, son of Richard Strode and Agnes Milleton.
Sir Thomas de Courtenay b abt 1312, of Woodhuish and Dunterton, Devonshire, and Wootton Courtenay, Somerset, England, d 1356. He md Muriel de Moels bef 1337, daughter of Sir John de Moels, Lord Moels, and Joan Lovel.
Children (3) of Thomas de Courtenay and Muriel de Moels were:
Margaret de Courtenay b abt 1355, of Devonshire and Somerset, England, d abt 8 Dec 1422. She md Sir Thomas Peverell abt 1370, son of Hugh Peverell and Elizabeth de Cobham.
- Muriel de Courtenay b abt 1343, d bef 12 Aug 1369; md Sir John de Dinham.
- Hugh de Courtenay b abt 1347, d s.p.
- Margaret de Courtenay b abt 1355.
While there is nearly unanimous agreement that the English Courtenays were descended from the early French Courtenays, the exact connection is still under some debate; specifically the generations of Renaud, Sire de Courtenay, father of Renaud, Baron of Okehampton.
a. He lost his great possessions in France when they were seized by King Louis VII and given to his youngest brother, Pierre, with Renaud's daughter Elizabeth, in marriage.
b. His birthdate given as 25 Mar 1248/49 or 1250/51, he had livery of his inheritance 16 Jun 1274. He was with the army in West Wales in 1282, and summoned for military service 12 Dec 1276 to 14 Jun 1287, and to attend the King at Shrewsbury 28 Jun 1283.
c. He and Margaret had eight sons and nine daughters; the sons shown here are the only ones mentioned in CP, and are in the order in which they were born.
CP: Vol III[465-466], Vol IV[323-335], ; AR: Line 50[28-30], Line 51[30-37], Line 51A[31-33], Line 107[23-24], Line 117, Line 138[24-26], Line 222, Line 232; RD: p FINISH; SGM: Richard Borthwick.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR COURTENAY
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME